Dewpoint Therapeutics is building a highly collaborative team to harness the power of biomolecular condensates. Together, we are leveraging a transformative shift in the understanding of cellular biology to discover and advance breakthrough therapeutics for the toughest diseases.
We are seeking a VP, Discovery Biology, to be a team leader and thought leader for Dewpoint’s discovery and development activities and play a pivotal role in linking the emerging understanding of condensate biology with disease biology across multiple indications and advancing the company’s overall R&D strategy. Dewpoint is using our condensate biology platform to develop new approaches and mechanisms of action to intervene in diseases with high unmet medical need.
This position reports to the Executive VP, Head of Research & Development, and has significant mentoring responsibilities. Therefore, it is essential that you have a strong pharmaceutical drug discovery and development background and you teach, model, and inspire a strong cross-functional collaborative and can-do attitude as a senior management leader. In this multi-faceted role, you will lead a team that is responsible for expanding our condensate biology understanding of the diseases we are targeting, developing condensate biology cellular and biochemical assays, and advancing programs through functional disease-relevant assays through candidate selection and creation of the Investigator Brochure and IND package. You will collaborate closely with the bioinformatics, chemistry, condensate platform technology, and HTS and data analytics functions at Dewpoint and contribute to the overall leadership and operational decisions to ensure that our innovative platform research and therapeutic area application programs are fully supportive of Dewpoint’s strategic objectives and emerging pipeline. Your team will play a significant role in supporting clinical trial design and biomarker characterization for the development program. In addition, you will be responsible for helping to lead several significant strategic pharmaceutical partnerships.
The ideal candidate is an experienced and enthusiastic biologist with a broad range of scientific interest combined with a deep and significant record of publications. You must have significant experience in drug discovery and development and be the kind of person who thrives in a hypothesis-driven, data-focused, team-oriented, and multi-disciplinary biotech environment. We are looking for someone who is excited about the novel opportunities that a condensate biology approach offers to utilize small molecule drugs in new and exciting ways not amenable to traditional approaches targeting enzyme-substrate or receptor-ligand interactions.
In this position you’ll be part of an energizing and supportive startup culture engaged in continuous learning, and part of an exceptional international team. This role is based at our site in Boston's Seaport district. Dewpoint offers competitive salary and benefits.
In this role you will…
- Lead, motivate, and mentor a team that is based in Germany and in the United States as well as coordinate work with external academic collaborators to progress our programs and influence Dewpoint’s scientific and organizational goals and corporate policies.
- Provide knowledge and direction to the discovery project teams to:
- Create decision trees guided by a data-driven target product profile to drive a program from HTS to an IND
- Develop, optimize, and validate condensate biology-based assays HTS cell and biochemical assays
- Execute robust assays to support med chem SAR optimization campaigns
- Create disease-relevant functional cellular and pharmacological secondary assays
- Guide target identification and engagement studies
- Elucidate the mechanisms of action of small molecules that modulate condensate biology in multiple therapeutic indications.
- Assist in the development of clearly prioritized strategy, execute this strategy independently, and effectively manage multiple priorities under time and resource pressures
- Assist in the development of investor and business development strategy and presentations
To do that you will need…
- A Ph.D. in molecular biology, cell biology, biological chemistry, virology, or a related discipline
- Demonstrated international leadership in discovery biology and drug discovery as evidenced by a strong publication record of scientific accomplishment
- 15+ years’ experience working in a pharmaceutical or biotech drug discovery environment with a record success as both a project and functional line management leader
- 10+ years formal supervisory experience demonstrating a history of increasing levels of responsibility in pharmaceutical discovery, supervisory responsibilities, and interaction with Senior Management culminating in a Director or equivalent role
- Demonstrated success in leading multiple drug discovery and development programs, for example, a track record of success working in one or more of the following areas: inflammation, rare genetic disorders, cardiovascular disease, oncology, fibrosis, and virology
- Experience with enzymatic, phenotypic, and high-content screening assay approaches and a wide range of assay techniques, such as reporter gene expression, high content fluorescent cell imaging, FRET, protein binding, immuno-based, thermal shift, and Biacore spr assays
- Hands-on experience in supporting lead optimization programs and performing biochemical and cellular mechanism of action studies
- Experience in supporting multiple programs that have transitioned from discovery to candidate selection to clinical development — specifically experience in writing study reports and Investigator Brochures to support regulatory submissions and the development program
- Proven ability to manage timelines and resources to drive projects toward key decision criteria combined with a keen attention to detail and a strong sense of urgency
- The desire and ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and team-focused environment and experience in mentoring and leading scientific teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate very effectively in English, the shared language of our multicultural team
It is nice but not essential that you also have…
- Experience in supporting programs that have transitioned from phase 1 clinical studies through NDA submission and launch as an approved drug
- Hands on experience with viruses such as HIV, respiratory viruses, herpes viruses and norovirus as well as various viral vector systems (lenti, AAV, adeno, herpes)
- Familiarity with condensate biology, intrinsically disordered proteins, and subcellular imaging
- Bioinformatics analysis experience
Dewpoint is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.Apply