Dewpoint Therapeutics is building a highly collaborative team to harness the power of biomolecular condensates. Together, we are leveraging a transformative shift in the understanding of cellular biology to discover and advance breakthrough therapeutics for the toughest diseases.
We are searching for an experienced and creative HIV virologist to serve as the Director, HIV Antiviral Drug Discovery, and lead our antiviral condensate biology program to develop a cure for HIV. The ideal candidate will be close to the bench and fluent with biochemical, phenotypic, and high-content assay development as well as HIV in vivo pharmacology models, and also be deeply experienced in pharmaceutical or biotech drug discovery. As a Director, you will be responsible for leading, mentoring, and fostering the output of a team of cross functional scientists to advance our antiviral discovery programs. A deep working knowledge of HIV molecular virology, cellular models of infection, and animal models is critical for this role. Hands on experience in building (preferred) or maintaining a BL2+ virology laboratory is required. Experience in working with cross functional teams to shepherd antiviral projects from HTS to an IND submission is highly preferred.
In this position you’ll be part of an energizing and supportive startup culture engaged in continuous learning, and part of an exceptional international team. This role is based at our site in Boston's Seaport district. Dewpoint offers competitive salary and benefits.
In this role you will…
- Lead, motivate, and mentor your direct and cross-functional scientific teams as well as influence the larger Dewpoint scientific and organizational goals and corporate policies
- Provide knowledge and direction to build out the HIV team to develop condensate biology-based assays, develop and run HTS assays, and identify molecular targets and elucidate mechanisms of action of small molecules that modulate HIV biology
- Create, maintain, and oversee Dewpoint's first BL2+ virology laboratory
- Report to the Executive VP for R&D and provide hands on drug discovery expertise and strategic input to our broader drug discovery programs
To do that you will need…
- A Ph.D. in virology or a related chemical or biological scientific discipline and a strong publication record
- 10+ years’ experience working in a pharmaceutical or biotech drug discovery environment
- 7+ years formal supervisory and mentoring experience; demonstrating a history of increasing levels of responsibility in pharmaceutical discovery, supervisory responsibilities, and interaction with senior management culminating in a record of achievement as an Associate Director or equivalent
- 6+ years in HIV molecular virology, cellular models of infection, mechanism of action studies and animal models
- Hands on experience in building (preferred) or maintaining a BL2+ virology laboratory
- Demonstrated strategic and tactical ability to lead antiviral project discovery teams in a pharmaceutical or biotech company setting including writing study reports regulatory submissions
- Experience in supporting lead optimization programs and performing biochemical and cellular mechanism of action studies
- Strong attention to detail and ability to balance multiple objectives
- Experience with enzymatic, phenotypic, and high-content screening assay approaches
- Experience with a wide range of assay techniques, such as reporter gene expression, high content fluorescent cell imaging, FRET, protein binding, immuno-based, thermal shift, and Biacore spr assays, as well as mechanism of action studies and antiviral assays
- Excellent organizational skills to balance multiple objectives with good follow through and delivery in a timely manner
- Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to collaborate in a highly dynamic multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to collaborate in a multidisciplinary and dynamic environment and experience in mentoring and leading scientific teams
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, the shared language of our multicultural team
It is nice but not essential that you also have..
- Experience in condensate biology, other viral systems such as respiratory viruses, herpes viruses, and norovirus, as well as various viral vector systems (lenti, AAV, adeno, herpes)
- Familiarity with condensate biology, intrinsically disordered proteins, and subcellular imaging
- Bioinformatics analysis experience
Dewpoint Therapeutics is the first company founded to apply the emerging discipline of biomolecular condensates to drug discovery. Dewpoint believes that a vast range of conditions have pathways that are regulated by condensates or arise from the dysfunction of condensates — including cancer, neurodegeneration, and metabolic disease. Dewpoint scientists are working in Boston, MA, and Dresden and Berlin, Germany, to translate condensate biology into treatments for the toughest diseases.
Dewpoint strives to cultivate an inclusive international community that welcomes and empowers everyone. We reject racism, discrimination, harassment, brutality, and all other manifestations of hate. We draw strength from diversity.
Dewpoint is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.Apply